JAN-PRO is fully committed to being environmentally pro-active so as to help safeguard natural resources for future generations in the ways detailed in this green policy. JAN-PRO is accredited with the ISO-40001 status and our environmental policy is based upon on reducing harmful environmental impact through the conscious choice and use of products and procedures, from carefully selecting suppliers to the training of cleaning operators.
- All cleaning operators attend an in-depth 5-week certification course prior to carrying out any cleaning services. The course involves educating operators on the harmful environmental impact of certain chemicals and procedures, and how this can be managed and overcome with the use of JAN-PRO products and cleaning methods.
- Cleaning operators are trained, using written and practical exercises on how to use products and carry out cleaning procedures efficiently and effectively, reducing overall energy consumption.
- Staff at all levels of the organisation are reminded of this green policy during training events and meetings to embed the importance of reducing environmental pollution across all operations of the company.
JAN-PRO take their responsibilities to protect the environment extremely seriously, which is why we only partner with companies who share our vision for a greener tomorrow. From using eco-friendly products to providing our cleaners with innovative green training systems, we are always striving to improve our impact on the environment.
Clover Chemicals and Jangro are our main supply partners, both of which adopt environmental-friendly practises in their daily work. Including Ecodosing technology which assists in waste reduction.
Ecodosing uses a dispensing mechanism to provide an accurately measured shot of concentrated cleaning solutions without the need for dispenser units that are costly and take up precious real estate. A single bottle of 1 litre or 250ml concentrate achieves significant cost-per-use savings compared to standard 5 litre bottle products, yet weighs less, is easier to store, easier to handle and more environmentally friendly to transport. A simple 10ml squeeze-and-fill chamber eliminates product wastage and ensures accurate dosing every time. The 1 litre bottle will fill up to 100 triggers or 50 buckets, and is very easy to store.
Furthermore, JAN-PRO ensures the recycled paper used within the company’s activities is as economically mindful as possible. All our paper has undergone a very sophisticated de-inking and washing process. This process uses no bleach and therefore dramatically reduces the discharge of harmful dioxins. The energy source for drying and steaming is natural gas and the water system is filtered and recycled to give further energy savings. All waste solids are inert and virtually harmless and the process also has the benefit of giving the paper a higher tensile strength as a result of slower bonding of the fibres.
- We use only butyl-free, low-VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) cleaning products and hospital-strength disinfectants.
- Whilst many products are available for our services, we choose suppliers carefully, based on their consideration for minimising environmental impact when formulating and manufacturing their products.
- We ensure all our suppliers share our passion for protecting the environment and ensuring we are green with our activities and the products we use.
- Our chemical suppliers ensure;
- All their chemical products abide by the strict European legislation on biodegradability (Regulation EC No. 648/2004).
- They do not use NPEs (Nonylphenolethoxylates) which are banned from use in the EU. Whilst NPEs are biodegradable, they contain suspect breakdown products, suggesting that our supplier considers environmental effects beyond the elementary level of understanding.
- They do not use harmful products such as Formaldehyde and Chlorinated Solvents, and all products are free from NTAs (Nitrilotriacetate).
- We ensure all products bought from our supplier has a green dot on the label. This shows that a contribution has been paid towards having the packaging recovered and recycled on their behalf.
- We work to reduce overall energy consumption by using mostly concentrated cleaning products which work more effectively when used economically and in smaller quantities. This cuts down on the energy expended in production, packaging, transportation and disposal.
Since 1991, we have used our very own eco-friendly, hospital-grade disinfection system called EnviroShield®, designed to minimise environmental impacts, whilst cleaning effectively, as the name suggests.
- EnviroShield® uses a disinfectant that is EPA-rated as the safest in its’ class whilst also being powerful enough to kill 99.9% of harmful bacteria, including MRSA, H1N1, E. Coli, and Listeria.
- EnviroShield® features an electrostatic nozzle designed for specific areas and applications, to reduce energy wastage. Electrostatic technology applies a negative charge to a 30-micron droplet, ensuring 100% surface contact. The negative charge causes the disinfectant to cling to and fully cover every surface it touches – thus providing total disinfection and leaving behind no harmful residue or odour to people, and the environment.
- JAN-PRO cleaning operators use HEPA-rated backpack vacuums that filter out 99.9% of particles from the air, improving overall air quality.
- Being green is woven in the fibre of our business; our microfiber cloths are positively charged to trap more dirt.
- The cloths are colour-coded to lower cross contamination, and they hold 6-8 times their own weight, to reduce waste.
- Unlike string mops which simply move dirt and germs around, our flat, innovative microfiber mops reduce dry time and contamination, resulting in an effective and efficient clean.
- We comply with all the relevant regulations, legislation and other requirements.
- We are accredited with ISO-40001 status. This is an internationally recognised system for managing short and long-term environmental effects of a business’ system, products, services, procedure and overall system. The accreditation applies across all industries. The framework for best practice for environmental management for organisations include;
- Minimising environmental footprint
- Reducing risk of pollution incidents
- Implementing operational improvements
- Complying with appropriate environmental regulations
- Developing the organisation in sustainable manner
CO2 Balance offers carbon footprint calculation, carbon management and reduction services and an ethical way to offset greenhouse gas emissions through Gold Standard energy efficiency projects.
JAN-PRO annually completes an audit and a Greenhouse Gas audit report is generated, including a number of suggestions on how to reduce our impact. JAN-PRO is then certified as ‘CarbonZero’ for at least a year, and the assessed levels of greenhouse gases are offset by the projects undertaken by CO2 Balance on a global scale.
The Contractors Health and Safety Assessment Scheme (CHAS)
Assessing suppliers’ health and safety competence can be a lengthy and time-consuming process. Suppliers can sometimes meet one companies Health and Safety standards but not another. Being CHAS approved reduces the need for unnecessary health and safety checks, as suppliers’ compliance is accepted by all CHAS buyers.
JAN-PRO has been assessed and approved by CHAS, thus demonstrating that we comply with the core criteria of health and safety law, and are approved to work for all CHAS buyers.