JAN-PRO recognises and accepts its legal duty of care set out in the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and subsequent regulations made under the act by using proactive measures to monitor performance.
JAN-PRO will therefore take all reasonably practical steps to ensure the health, safety and welfare of its employees and others who may be affected by its activities, to include: suppliers, clients and members of the public.
Health, safety and welfare are integral to the operation of JAN-PRO and require effective management and the creation of a positive health and safety culture.
All JAN-PRO employees are reminded that regardless of their status, any failure on their part to comply with health and safety legislation and company policy may amount to gross misconduct which may lead to summary dismissal. There may also be the possibility of a fine and / or imprisonment.
In order for all employees to comply with their legal duties, they will undertake and be responsible for:
- Reading and understanding the Company’s health and safety policy and carry out their work safely and in accordance with its requirements.
- Ensuring that all protective equipment provided under a legal requirement is properly used in relation to any instruction / training given and in accordance with this health and safety policy.
- Reporting any defects to work equipment immediately to a Supervisor or Manager.
- Reporting any accidents, incidents, ill health or near misses however minor to a Supervisor or Manager.
- Using the correct tools and equipment for the job in hand and in accordance with training and instructions.
- Co-operating with any investigation, which may be undertaken with the objective of preventing reoccurrence of incidents
JAN-PRO recognises the value and importance of two-way communication and take the necessary steps to ensure that adequate facilities are available to all employees to raise any health and safety issues.
Section 7 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 imposes duties on employees whilst they are at work, these are:
- To take reasonable care for the health and safety of themselves and that of other persons who may be affected by their work activities.
- To co-operate with their employers, other persons and authorities, inorder to ensure safe working practices.
- Never intentionally or recklessly interfere with, or misuse anything provided in the interest of health, safety and welfare.
- All employees are given training appropriate to their responsibilities in accordance with the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations.
- All cleaning operators attend an in-depth certification course prior to carrying out any cleaning services. The course involves induction training for new employees, covering areas of Health and Safety awareness, company procedures and values.
- All cleaning operators are trained, using written and practical exercises on how to use products and carry out cleaning procedures correctly and safely reducing risk of incidents due to improper use.
- Staff periodically complete health and safety refresher courses to ensure all employees are up to date in their knowledge and compliant with all health and safety related legislation.
Risk Assessments will be used to determine the appropriate control measures for hazards, and to ensure that appropriate information, instruction, training and supervision is available to allow JAN-PRO employees to carry out their jobs as safely as possible, and without risks to their health.
Managers are trained to identify new hazards on client sites and seek advice and support if they are unable to control the identified risks.
Basic training will be given to all staff on the contents of the First Aid box at their location, and on what actions to take should an incident requiring First Aid take place.
All accidents will be reported to the so that appropriate review and modification to working practices and surrounding environment can made.
All JAN-PRO employees familiarise themselves with client procedures when attending a client site, in particular general site access, security, emergency procedures and high-risk work activities including permit to work systems. Clients site procedures and specific instructions will be followed at all times.
Before new equipment is introduced into the working environment, an assessment will be made in order to ascertain that the equipment is suitable for its intended use.
No employee will use work equipment for which they have not received specific training.
Employees will respect all work equipment and be self-responsible in the way they use it which will minimise a specific risk.
Fire Safety & Emergency Procedures
It is the Company’s policy to take account of fire hazards in the workplace. All employees have a duty to conduct their operations in such a way as to minimize the risk of fire. This involves compliance with the Company’s no smoking policy, keeping combustible materials separate from sources of ignition and avoiding unnecessary accumulation of combustible materials.
Managers and where applicable Supervisors are responsible for keeping their operating area safe from fire, ensuring that their staff are trained in proper fire prevention practices and emergency procedures.
JAN-PRO franchise owners must ensure that all fire exits on client’s sites are free from hazards and are freely accessible for use at all times.
The safety of members of the public and other contractors is considered at all times whilst on site. Any work area that could place others at risk due to JAN-PRO’s activities will be closed off by appropriate means (e.g. safety signage, bollards, tape, hoarding) in order to restrict access.
The Contractors Health and Safety Assessment Scheme (CHAS)
Assessing suppliers’ health and safety competence can be a lengthy and time-consuming process. Suppliers can sometimes meet one companies Health and Safety standards but not another. Being CHAS approved reduces the need for unnecessary health and safety checks, as suppliers’ compliance is accepted by all CHAS buyers.
JAN-PRO has been assessed and approved by CHAS, thus demonstrating that we comply with the core criteria of health and safety law, and are approved to work for all CHAS buyers.
All our cleaning projects are fully monitored by the JAN-PRO Tracker® system which enable us to ensure that our services are maintained at the highest quality levels, ensuring consistent customer satisfaction. By complying to the procedures outlined in this document we are able to safe-proof the safety of our employees, clients and suppliers whilst they are engaging with JAN-PRO.